December 7, 2021
This won’t hurt a bit. We just want to see if your B2C and B2B email marketing is in the pink of health.
Boing! Your list quality is funky with incorrect addresses, or your domain has been denied access to a server. Indications include:
- Tradeshow list
- Old list
- Affinity list from a broker instead of opt-in list
- A reputation for spammy content.
- Email is not expected and consistent.
Open Rate < 11%
You’ve got subject line syndrome. Do you have any of these symptoms?
- Too long (60+ characters)
- Spammy words that get blocked by servers
- Dull lines, like “Acme Newsletter Oct. 2021.”
- Unfocused copy about multiple benefits
While you’re poking around look for problems in the From and Sender info, like:
- The email doesn’t come from a real person (email@example.com)
- A domain name that doesn’t match your company’s domain, e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org, and your company’s domain is biologisticsystems.com.
Effective ContentSmooth, flowing, and striking content improves click-thru and boosts the chance they’ll open your following email. Sickly content ailments include:
- Lack of entertainment or information value
- Hype stuffing
- Copy that’s not written at appropriate reading level or style
- Canned or boring visuals
- Copy that sounds like a carnival barker, “while supplies last”
- Distracting links, like web navigation that don’t target the landing page
- No devices to help the reader like subheads, bulleted lists, or pull quotes
- Missing privacy statement, company name, or address
Click thru Rate > 3%
Diagnosing a low click-thru rate is like a doctor checking your cough. It could be anything from the common cold to a hairball. Here are a few places to start.
- A/B test offers
- A/B test button shapes and colors
- A/B test new design options
- Change time of day, day of week
- Make sure the call to action is above the fold
- The trustworthiness of the sender
Conversions on Landing Page > 1%
Your blood pressure’s spiking because not enough visitors are clicking. It’s time for an intervention.
- Remove all extraneous links from your page
- Check the landing page bounce rate in web analytics
- Make sure the offer and call to action are above the fold
- Trim forms with more than 2 or 3 fields
- Eliminate open-ended questions
- Experiment with text inside the submit button
- Give support for your claim with testimonials
- Make sure there’s a privacy statement under the submit button